Monday, January 31, 2011

Nothing to talk about...

Journal 2-6


Nothing to talk about...


I. In last week's blog I said that I would research ways to improve the Leadership website. In the previous journal I had examined the website for myself and picked out what I thought was wrong with it. Now I want to start looking into fixing it. Here's what I found:
The first website lists 10 simple tips for improving your website. The second website provides a categorized guide to enhancing your website's setup.


II. This week in class we watched two different TED talks, both revolving around the idea of compassion. The first speaker was a woman named Karen Armstrong. It was a little bit hard to focus on the things she was saying because of her odd appearance and her accent. The gap between her teeth and her awkward hairstyle made it difficult to stare at her, and her british accent distracted me from retaining the words that she said. Her main idea was religious tolerance. A kind of "centralized religion" centered around the golden rule. The second speaker was a male, whose name I do not recall. His speech was much easier to listen to and focus on, although his ideas were harder to comprehend. I remember him talking about win-win lose-lose situations (like a consumer purchasing a product is a win-win situation). As for the rest of it...I really don't have a clue. Towards the end of the week we played a "game" that had a prison scenario, a car scenario, and a battle of the sexes scenario. The object of the game was to basically use telepathy and cooperate with your partner in a way that would score the most points for each of you.

The Charter For Compassion: Another Huge Step Towards A One World Religion?. (n.d.). The Last Days. Retrieved January 31, 2011, from http://signsofthelastdays.com/archives/the-charter-for-compassion-another-huge-step-towards-a-one-world-religion



As far as the charter for compassion goes, I agree with a point that Jeremy made. That is, the charter seems like a good idea, however it isn't actually a realistic goal. All the various sects of Christianity can't even come to agreement, so there is no way that other religions can be incorporated into this "centralized religion" as well. People will believe what they want to believe and practice what they want to practice. Basically the charter is somewhat taking away freedom of religion. It would be literally impossible to get even two religions in sync, much less all of them. As far as the prison game goes, I thought it was a really entertaining activity. There really wasn't too much strategy to it, you just had to kind of read your partner's mind. Depending on whether you chose to cooperate with your partner or screw them over, you either ended up benefitting or screwing over yourself at the same time.



cyber spirit cafe: November 2009. (n.d.). cyber spirit cafe. Retrieved January 31, 2011, from http://cyberspiritcafe.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html


For my idea that we didn't discuss in class, I want to go back to an older topic. It doesn't have too much to do with this week's topics, but it goes along with the lingering idea of transforming Leadership. We had a bit of a discussion about it in Mr. Schumacher's class on Thursday, I believe it was. We got into a class chat about the idea of a lock-in. Now I understand that a sleepover with 199 other students doesn't appeal to everyone. But it came as a surprise to me that there are several people who simply aren't interested in the idea of Leadership bonding at all. They just don't care. There's no desire to get to know the other kids in the program. I feel like that's an opportunity that would be stupid to pass up. The opportunity to create new friendships is a valuable thing. I hope that somehow we can inspire those people who's hearts aren't in it to change their minds.


Friendship - Loldogs, Dogs 'n' Puppy Dog Pictures - I Has A Hotdog!. (n.d.). Loldogs, Dogs 'n' Puppy Dog Pictures - I Has A Hotdog!. Retrieved January 31, 2011, from http://dogs.icanhascheezburger.com/2008/06/01/funny-dog-pictures-friendship-we-has-it


III. For next week's blog I want to research some more information about the Charter for Compassion. I'll take a look at whatever websites I can find that touch on the idea. Do other people think it is realistic? What would it take to actually make something like that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment