Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving break...I forgot what we did in class...oops

Journal 2-2


Thanksgiving break...I forgot what we did in class...oops


I. In last week's blog I said that I wanted to know more about the group in Dallas that is similar to the Maine Troop Greeters. I had a difficult time finding any information about this group. However there were two articles that at least proved the existence of the Dallas troop greeters.


http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/20/they-need-to-know-theyre-loved/
>> The first paragraph talks about a woman who greets troops at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport


source:
Volunteers greet troops every day - Washington Times. (n.d.). Washington Times - Politics, Breaking News, US and World News. Retrieved November 28, 2010, from http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/20/they-need-to-know-theyre-loved/.




http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Returning-Soldier-Surprises-Wife-at-DFW-Airport.html
>> A young girl was greeting incoming troops at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, and to her surprise, her husband was one of them


source:
Surprise! Troop Greeter Gets to Welcome Husband | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth . (n.d.). NBC Dallas-Fort Worth - Local News, Weather, Traffic, Entertainment, Events, Breaking News | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth . Retrieved November 28, 2010, from http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Returning-Soldier-Surprises-Wife-at-DFW-Airport.html



II. Last week we started watching a film called "The Persuaders" and began working on our storyboards for our documentaries. "The Persuaders" is an interesting film about the techniques and motives of the advertising industry. It shows a bunch of different commercials and analyzes the persuasion techniques behind them. We did a worksheet on brand loyalty and talked about what brands we stay loyal to and why. As far as storyboarding goes, we looked at an example of an ideal storyboard, and talked with our groups about how we would set up our documentary. We also watched two short videos, in which a guy discussed the basic ground rules for making a documentary. He talked about lighting, interviewing, camera angles, zooming, etc.




source:
"What’s Your Advertising Technique? | Gas Station Advertising." GasStationAdvertising.com - Executing Non-traditional advertising ideas.. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Nov. 2010. http://www.gasstationadvertising.com/business-advertising/104-what%E2%80%99s-your-advertising-technique/.



source:
Creative Advertising Techniques That Work - Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum. (n.d.). Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum. Retrieved November 28, 2010, from http://www.contractortalk.com/f12/creative-advertising-techniques-work-67079/.




Personally I think the advertising unit is very interesting. It's interesting to be exposed to the trickery and deceit that comes along with everyday adversiting. I love to watch commercials and you begin to have a greater appreciation for them once you've been behind the scenes. One brand that I am loyal to is Rainbow flip flops. I've never seen a commercial for them, but they're certainly advertised by the general public. When you go into a shoe store, the Rainbows are generally on a rack behind the counter. This alone proves that they're high quality. I'm loyal to Rainbows because they're the most comfortable flip flops i've ever put on my feet. Also they're extremely durable. I've had the same pair for two years and they've been through dirt, mud, rain, snow, and tons of wear and tear. They've faded in color and the leather is worn down, but they're still perfectly usable.

source:
"Keely-Okie." Keely-Okie. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Nov. 2010. http://keelyokie.blogspot.com/.



Something we haven't discussed in class that I find very interesting about advertising is radio advertisements. They're really different because there's nothing to see, and "seeing is believing". Are radio advertisements still equally as effective? Do they bring in as much business as TV and magazine ads do? I know that personally, I switch the radio station when the commercials come on. I hate listening to people talk, so if there's nothing to look at, I don't want to hear about it. Radio advertising does nothing for me unless I happen to hear a key word at the very beginning that holds my interest. Usually those are just about concerts or upcoming events though.


III. For next week's blog I want to do some more research on documentary making. Those videos we watched were very helpful, but I feel like there is more to be learned before we start filming. This is a project that really interests me so I'm hoping to do an awesome job with it. Therefore I hope to find more useful tips that will guide my group as we make our film.

No comments:

Post a Comment